Extended Rear-Facing Chairs (ERF) are an increasingly popular category among parents and we are glad to see that this trend is becoming more and more popular in Romania.
We must first establish a definition for the notion of chair Extended Rear-Facing or ERF (Extended Rear-Facing) .
The legislation in force requires the transport of children in chairs installed with their backs to the direction of travel until the age of 15 months. If you use a newborn shell, you can’t even place it other than with your back to the direction of travel, so most parents who use car seats from the beginning comply.
The current trend for the next group of seats is that the positioning of children up to 4 years old (105 cm according to R129-i-Size approval or 18-19 kg according to R44.04 approval) should also be carried with the back to the direction of travel. This is not a mandatory requirement, but is the recommendation made by American Academy of Pediatrics , NHTSA and most European experts in Child Car Safety .
Neither the first nor the second group of chairs, ie neither the shells nor the chairs in the group of 0-4 years or 6 months-4 years can be included in this category because they already represent the “normal”.
What chairs do we then include in this category? Simple, those models that allow the transport of children with their backs to the direction of travel for as long as possible, ie after the age of 4, or after the children reach the weight of 18 kg or 105 cm.
We recommend that you switch to this group of chairs after the age of 1 year – 1 year and a half (after the children reach a height of at least 75 cm). Until this age it is recommended to use the shell.
Rear-Facing Extended Car Seats (ERF) have been tested Plus , a special frontal impact test, specific to the rear-facing seats.
This category of car seats includes some remarkable models in terms of impact protection, even if most of them are installed only in seat belts (not in Isofix).
The Rear Facing Axkid Move car seat is for those looking for an affordable and safe solution. Axkid Move takes up very little space in the car, so you can install it in both small and large cars.
Axkid Move comes with innovative impact protection – ASIP (Axkid Side Impact Protection), developed together with a recognized accident institute in Germany, offering the best possible protection to the child in the event of a side impact collision. Axkid Move is approved in the 9-25 kg category and has received very good reviews from several independent testing institutes. The car seat passed the Swedish Plus test at 25 kg, awarded by Folksam with the “Good Choice 2017” award and is approved Rollover (in case of overturning the car) by VCA (UK Approval Authority and Technical Service).
Recommended for children:
– in the 9-25 kg category
– which have exceeded the limits of use of the shell and have a height of more than 75 cm
– up to the age of 5-7 years approximately 120 cm (after 120 cm they will be able to travel safely in a car seat in the 15-36 kg category – up to approximately 145 cm).
Axkid Minikid 2.0
The Axkid Minikid 2.0 car seat, launched in 2018, has been designed to provide the best safety and comfort for both young and old children, allowing your child to travel with their back to the direction of travel for as long as possible.
The new Axkid Minikid 2.0 car seat comes with innovative impact protection – ASIP (Axkid Side Impact Protection), developed together with a recognized accident institute in Germany, offering the best possible protection to the child in the event of a side impact collision. ASIP should be used on the side of the car seat in front of the car door. It also has detachable belt guards and higher tilt so it can be used earlier: starting at 6 months vs. 9 months for the previous model.
Axkid Minikid is approved for the 0-25 kg (approximately 125 cm, 6 years) category and has received excellent reviews from several independent testing institutes. Plus up to 25 kg is approved, received the “Good Choice 2015” award from Folksam, “Best Cost Value” from Best-in-Test.se and is approved Rollover (in case of overturning of the car) by VCA ( UK Approval Authority and Technical Service).
RECOMMENDED FOR CHILDREN:
– you are in the 0-25 kg category from 6 months
– which have exceeded the limits of use of the shell and have a height of more than 61 cm
– up to the age of 5-7 years approximately 125 cm (after 125 cm they will be able to travel safely in a car seat in the 15-36 kg category – up to approximately 145 cm).
The Axkid Rekid child car seat is designed to allow you to travel with your back to the direction of travel for as long as possible.
Rekid has Isofix arms that tighten, thus allowing installation with the back in the direction of travel between 9-25 kg as follows:
-9-18 kg with ISOfix,
-9-25 kg with 3-point seat belt of the car.
Rekid is tested Plus (up to 18 kg)
The child also enjoys great comfort, thanks to the soft padded protections for the shoulder and comfortable pillows for the neck. The seat design is designed in accordance with the latest child safety standards, and in combination with the new self-adjusting belt gives the child the best protection in the event of a frontal impact.
Axkid One sets a new standard in car seat safety. It is the only ISOFIX rear-facing car seat on the market that is i-Size approved up to 125 cm / 23 kg, which means that your little one can travel rear-facing two years longer than other ISOFIX car seats. from the market. Rear-facing positioning is 5 times safer for children up to 6-7 years old.
The safest car seat I’ve ever built – car seat with ISOFIX, exclusively rear-facing, approved up to 125 cm or up to about 7 years old (i-Size)
A single car seat for the whole childhood – Axkid One can be used from the first day of life up to about 7 years. It is not necessary to buy another car seat (only an additional insert cushion is needed – Axkid One Plus).
Provides the best extra legroom – Axkid One is spacious, and the seat adjustment gives the child more legroom and easy access.
Easy to use – the new sliding design makes it easy to place the child in a chair.
Easier innovative design – weighs 30% less than other car seats on the market and is built with less plastic.
Guaranteed quick and safe installation – just attach it to the ISOFIX connectors, fold the support leg, release the anti-rotation bar and the seat is ready.
The Besafe iZi Plus X1 Metallic Melange car seat is designed from the experience of 30 years spent designing Rear Facing car seats. The car seat can be used approx. 5 years and is compatible with most cars because it does not require ISOfix. The two new features add more safety and comfort
The latest generation of additional side impact protection (SIP +)
- Absorbs energy in case of a side impact, reducing the force applied to the neck and cervical area by up to 20%
- SIP + is mounted on the side of the seat (the side from the door) and works in two ways:
- Reduces the distance between the seat and the door, thus reducing the movement that will occur in the event of a side impact. Reduced movement means reduced force and acceleration.
- It works as a deformation zone of the car, which absorbs from the energy of the side impact. Besafe iZi Plus X1 car seat
- Allows use with the back to the direction of travel up to approx. age of 5 years
- Permanently 5 times safer, oriented only with the back to the direction of travel
- Tested Plus up to 25 kg
- Best quality materials
- Lateral impact protection (SIP) incorporated in the seat structure
- Additional side impact protection (SIP +) with a new attachment mechanism
- Increases with small passenger to approx. 5 years
- The extra-lined insert allows use from 5-6 months
- Adjustable, generous legroom for older children
- Detachable and machine washable textile cover
- Soft insert for stability and support
- Through the smart magnet system, the shoulder belt does not stand in the way of the little passenger
- Three adjustable tilt positions even after installation
Diono Radian 5 RXT
The new 2019 Radian 5 RXT Black model from Diono is a truly revolutionary car seat, or more precisely, the car seat that manages to meet all parents’ expectations: long service life from 0 months to 6 years (0-25 kg), own belts with 5-point fastening and maximum impact resistance due to the reinforced steel frame, as well as the unique innovations of Diono engineers.
Radian 5 is the only car seat in which the child can be transported in an extremely comfortable position, with his back to the direction of travel, up to a weight of 25 kg, ie the safest driving position recommended for small passengers.
Maximum Impact Protection
• Thanks to its increased capacity, Radian 5 is the only car seat recommended from birth that allows the transport of the child both with his back and face to the direction of travel up to a weight of 25 kg.
• The reinforced steel frame is extremely impact resistant, and the EPP foam provides maximum protection, while the side wings in the head area maintain the child’s position in the car seat in the event of an accident.
• Thanks to the minimalist design, the Radian 5 seat takes up less space in the rear seat, so if you have more small passengers, you can put up to 3 Radian 5 car seats in the vehicle.
Transport with the back to the direction of travel longer
• With a carrying capacity with the back to the direction of travel up to a maximum weight of the child of 25 kg, Radian 5 provides the safest mode of transport for small passengers. Experts have shown that the child’s safety is 5 times higher if he is transported with his back to the direction of travel, because in this position the head and cervical spine are protected in case of impact. Also, when carried with the back to the direction of travel, the position is much more comfortable for the child.
• Even when children are transported facing the direction of travel, they are secured in their own seat belts, with 5-point fastening.
• The seat of the Radian 5 car seat is lined with memory foam, so it ensures an extremely comfortable trip for the child, whether it is short trips or longer trips.
• The lining of the Radian 5 car seat opens and can be washed, at the washing machine, at 30 degrees, without squeezing
• Recommended for transport with the back to the direction of travel from birth and up to 25 kg.
• Recommended for transport with the direction of travel from 9 to 25 kg.
• All-steel frame, making it the strongest child car seat on the market.
• V3 energy reduction system, provides special protection in all types of impact: front, rear, side or roll.
• Super Grip belts have a patented system for absorbing kinetic energy, thus reducing the influence of the impact force on the child’s body in the event of an accident.
• The side walls of the car seat have the role of additionally protecting the head area, the cervical spine and the child’s hips.
• The seat is fully lined with EPP foam that absorbs kinetic energy.
• The shell in which the steel frame is included is made of a special plastic with very high durability.
• Special Safe Stop grip for additional absorption of impact force.
• Extendable side headrests that allow the seat to be enlarged as the child grows.
• Radian 5 is the first convertible car seat with a compact folding system so that it can be easily stored and transported.
• Super soft and pleasant to the touch textile lining and special newborn insert to protect the baby’s head area.
• Elongated seat for foot support and extra comfort.
• The seat has a fastening system for 4 cup holders (one cup sport is included and the rest can be ordered separately).
• Portable, foldable, with straps available for transport.
• Suitable for use in aircraft.
Britax-Romer Max-Way Plus
MAX-WAY PLUS allows a trip with backward orientation extended from 9 kg to 25 kg – the safest way to travel. In addition, it benefits from an adjustable advanced side impact protection (SICT) to be used on the side closest to the door. The multitude of reclining positions together with the adjustable belt allow you to adapt the seat to the changing needs of your growing child, while the headrest and soft lining offer comfort. All in a compact seat, allowing more space for other passengers.
MAX-WAY PLUS was tested and obtained in 2018 the Plus Test (Swedish).
EXTENDED ORIENTATION WITH FACE TO BACK
- Rear-facing seats offer the best protection in the event of a frontal collision – the most common type of road accident. In a frontal collision with a seat facing backwards, the impact forces are directed towards the back of the seat, while the remaining energy is spread evenly over the head, neck and upper body. With a seat facing forward, the impact energy is distributed differently between the seat structure and the restraint system – which can result in a greater influence on the child’s body.
- We recommend that all children travel back and forth for as long as possible.
Multiple tilt positions
- Keeping your child comfortable while traveling is a must. That’s why this chair has been designed with several reclining positions that you can easily adjust – providing a stress-free ride with a happy child.
Quick cover removal
- Things can get pretty dirty on the road. Drinks can spill, and children can feel sick. That’s why we designed a seat cover that can be put in the washing machine and is easy to take off without removing the belt.
Advanced Side Impact Protection – SICT
- The SICT offers superior protection to your child in the event of a side collision. Reduces impact forces by minimizing the distance between the car and the car seat and deforms to absorb energy before reaching the small one. For protection, simply adjust the SICT on the side of the car seat closest to the door.
Side protection wings
- Wide, soft, padded wings act as a protective cocoon that helps absorb force from a side impact, reducing the risk of injuring your child.
Britax-Romer Multitech III
The versatile MULTI-TECH III allows an extended movement of the rear orientation from 9 kg to 25 kg, with the option for installation and front orientation. Adjustable headrest and seat belt, as well as adjustable width positions that allow the seat to grow with the child. With the help of installation indicators and optimal protection against side impact, MULTI-TECH III offers parents total safety.
SUPERIOR SIDE IMPACT PROTECTION
- Improved SICT offers superior protection in the event of a two-stage side collision. Keep your baby away from impact in a controlled motion and then deform to absorb the energy exerted on your baby. For protection, simply adjust and adjust the SICT on the side of the seat as close to the door as possible.
EXTENDED REAR ORIENTATION
- Rear-facing car seats offer the best protection in the event of a frontal collision – the most common type of road accident. In a frontal collision with a seat facing back, the impact forces are directed towards the back of the seat, while the remaining energy is spread evenly over the head, neck and upper body. With a front-facing seat, the impact energy is distributed differently between the seat structure and the restraint system – which can result in a large influence on the child’s body. We recommend that children travel back and forth for as long as possible.
SIDE PROTECTIVE WINGS
- Wide, soft, padded wings act as a protective cocoon that helps absorb force from a side impact, reducing the risk of injury to your child.
PERFORMANT THORACIC PILLARS
- High-performance chest pads provide comfort and reduce the child’s forward movement in a frontal collision, with extra care and attention to the child’s delicate neck. They also help spread the forces from a uniform frontal impact on the child’s shoulders and chest.
QUICK COVER REMOVAL
- Things can get pretty dirty on the road, so we designed a seat cover that can be put in the washing machine and is easy to take off without removing the belt.
5 POINT SEAT BELTS
- We believe that the 5-point seat belt is the safest way to secure your child in a car seat because it will keep your child safe. In case of collision, the belt distributes the impact forces in 5 points, two at the shoulders, two at the hips and one in which the belt tightens between the legs. This will help protect your child from all directions of impact.
ADJUSTABLE HEADLIGHT AND BELT
- The headrest and seat belt can be easily adjusted with one hand to fit the child’s height. Before securing the little one in the 5-point seat belt, make sure the headrest is in the correct position – just above the shoulders.
WIDTH ADJUSTABLE POSITIONS
- As your child grows, their car seat grows with them. Not only in height, but also in width. To keep your child comfortable and safe, the width of the child seat can be adjusted quickly and easily to fit perfectly.
All these seat models from the Extended Rear-Facing (ERF) category can be tested and installed in < strong> Children’s Car Safety Centers in Bucharest and Constanta , the only centers accredited by Children’s Car Safety Foundation . We recommend that the first installation of a model in this category be done by a specialized consultant because it is a more laborious operation, and a faulty installation leads to inadequate protection of the child in case of an impact.